Thursday 29 November 2012

Competition Update. Black and White Photographer of the Year 2012

I WON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am the winner of Black and White Photography Magazine's, Black and White Photographer of the Year 2012 Award.

Have I come back down to earth? Have I heck.

The Leica M Monochrom was presented to me at the Leica Store, Mayfair, London, and I have barely let go of it since. I had to dash from the ceremony earlier than I would have liked to get the last boat home, but I got a chance to speak with Elizabeth Roberts and some of her fantastic staff and colleagues. My nerves were off the scale, but it was a brilliant evening and all the work in the room was of such a high standard I feel honoured and humbled to have been a part of it.

I've been entering competitions for some years (I think this was my fourth or fifth time with this particular one) and although I've had positive feedback I've never won and I guess you get used to not winning. I had no idea this would be 'The One' and it's knocked me for six. It's a shame my Dad isn't here anymore, I would have loved to have told him in person, but some strange things have been happening since he died and I'm pretty sure he knows. I think he would have loved all the attention.